Ingredients for whitening clothes at home. Source: spm
We all love white textiles, but given their color, it’s so easy to become disillusioned when they have the misfortune to get dirty…More than any other article, white clothing can indeed represent a certain challenge…especially when you talk about tomato sauce stains, sweats or yellow spots. The good news is that with the right ingredients, there are great alternatives to bleach and chemicals to keep your whites white.
White vinegar. Source: spm
White vinegar is a super cleanser that can also boast of its softening and whitening properties, thanks to its acetic acid content to revive the white of gray clothes.
Read also: How to make clothes whiter with aspirin?
- Put 1 good cup of distilled white vinegar in about 3 liters of hot water;
- Dip the white garment in the vinegar solution;
- Leave to soak overnight;
- The next day, add your item to your wash cycle and wash as usual.
Added benefit: you can prevent detergent residue from altering clothes by adding a glass of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.
2. Dishwasher detergent
Dishwasher detergent. Source: spm
Here is a trick that happens to be an interesting alternative to bleach. If you’re in a bind and only have the dishwasher detergent on hand, here’s an effective product to restore the whiteness of your clothes.
- Prepare 3 liters of hot water;
- Dissolve 1/2 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent in hot water and ensure complete dissolution;
- Dip the white items into the solution;
- Let stand for half an hour or more;
- Run a machine cycle with your usual detergent.
Note though that if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to avoid this solution if your dishwasher detergent contains chlorine (which most of them do).
3. Baking soda
Baking soda. Source: spm
Like white vinegar, baking soda also has a whitening power. Ecological, it revives the color of your dull white clothes. To do this, follow these very simple steps:
- In a basin filled with boiling water, add 1 glass of baking soda;
- Let your garment soak in the solution for 1 hour. If you let it sit overnight it’s even better.
- All you have to do is wash the garment as usual.
If the method is effective, it is because baking soda deeply impregnates the fibers of cotton clothing. The result is often convincing!
Let’s also take this opportunity to remember that half a bowl of baking soda can solve more than one washing machine problem, including limescale.
Whole lemon. Source: spm
Your white clothes have tarnished and you don’t have white vinegar or baking soda at home? In this case, lemon is an excellent whitening alternative for your tarnished or yellowed items. Whether they are made of cotton fibers, polyester or linen, it is possible to count on the citric acid contained in the citrus fruit to lighten them.
- Prepare half a glass of lemon juice;
- Add the juice to 3 to 4 liters of hot water;
- Soak white clothes in lemon water;
- Leave on for 1 hour or more. The ideal being to let the clothes rest longer, let them soak all night if possible;
- All you have to do is do your usual washing!
5. The sun
If paradoxically the sun and its ultraviolet rays are likely to discolor colored articles, it is another story when it comes to white colored articles. UV rays have a double action on them because they are not only whitening but in addition, they eliminate different types of germs. Moreover, the sun also contributes to the disinfection of the fibers of the fabric! So don’t hesitate to opt for sun drying and enjoy sunny days by exposing your white sheets and towels to more sunlight!
6. Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide. Source: spm
To use this drugstore staple, be sure to choose a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and then follow these easy steps that also involve baking soda as a supplement.
- Mix equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide;
- spread the paste over the dull areas;
- Leave to act for 30 minutes to 1 hour;
- Grab a soft-bristled brush and use it to remove any remaining residue;
- And finally, run your laundry through the washing machine.
You should be satisfied with the result soon!
Alternatively, you can mix some baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and warm water and pour the solution into a spray bottle. Spray the area with your natural cleanser, leave on for about 30 minutes, then put your garment in the washing machine.
Cup of milk. Source: spm
If milk is a great whitening option, it’s because your delicate fabric or cotton items may need it.
- Depending on how much you plan to launder, put your laundry in a small or large tub of milk;
- Let the clothes soak in the milk for 2 to 3 hours. Time is a rather decisive factor in the whitening process;
- The last step you know it, wash your clothes by launching your usual washing cycle then let dry in the open air.
Aspirin in a basin of water. Source: spm
Yes, you read correctly. Imagine that aspirin can go beyond its first role since it is also excellent against stains on your white fabrics. To use it as a whitening product, the technique couldn’t be simpler:
- Start by dissolving 5 aspirin tablets in a basin of water. Also make sure to choose the white colored aspirin.
- Soak the clothes in the container.
- Let sit for 1 hour or more.
- Put the laundry in the washing machine then start the usual cycle
Borax in a cup. Source: spm
Borax remains an effective product for overcoming stubborn stains and helping to restore the whiteness of your laundry. If you have items that have tarnished or been covered in dirt, do the following:
- Dissolve ½ cup of borax powder in a basin containing 3 to 4 liters of lukewarm water;
- Soak the items to be treated in the solution;
- Leave to act for 30 minutes or even 1 hour;
- Put your clothes, sheets or towels in the washing machine then start the appropriate cycle.
9. Citric acid
Citric acid. Source: spm
Citric acid powder is a more concentrated alternative to lemon and whose whitening properties have nothing to envy to the latter.
- In a basin filled with 3 to 4 liters of hot water, dissolve 3 tablespoons of citric acid then mix;
- Soak the white linen then leave to rest for 5 hours. Ideally, let your item soak in the citric acid solution overnight.
- The next day, put your laundry in the drum of the washing machine and proceed with the usual washing
Citric acid is also, like white vinegar, an excellent cleaner for your washing machine.
10. Enzyme stain remover
Enzyme-based stain remover. Source: spm
Detergents with enzymes can be of great help against stubborn soils. If they are recommended for recovering white laundry and brightening it, it is because they are able to effectively remove yellow stains. Just add it to the wash cycle and let it do the work! This product, which you can also buy online, should make your usual laundry detergent more effective.
11. Lemon, baking soda and white vinegar
Cleansing trio of lemon, white vinegar and baking soda – Source: spm
Let’s end this list in style with a thunderous trio. We take winning ingredients, make them work together and simply let the magic happen to reveal the radiance of the garment. To try this grandmotherly recipe, follow these very simple steps:
- Prepare a basin filled with 4 liters of hot water;
- Add half a glass of Marseille soap to the hot water, 4 teaspoons of baking soda and the juice of half a lemon;
- Mix copiously;
- Soak the items in the solution then let sit for 1 hour;
- Then put the clothes in another basin filled with cold water this time and with a fairly generous amount of white vinegar (1 glass should be enough)
- Leave to sit for 2 hours then run the items through the washing machine. There is a good chance that your clothes will regain their former whiteness!
Yellowed white linen. Source: spm
Yellowed white laundry: how to prevent this inconvenience when using your machine? Advice
In addition to the tips you have just seen, it is important to take into account certain tips to prevent yellowing of linen.
Read also: Dirty tile joints? The magic cleanser to whiten them easily
- First of all, remember that it is important to sort clothes and wash white with white.
- When washing, it is advisable not to abuse fabric softener and laundry detergent. For what ? Simply because the heat of the washing process can cause product residue to stick to the fibers. As a result, we end up with a dull or yellowish fabric…
- Be sure to use a quality detergent.
How to whiten synthetic fabric white laundry?
For synthetic fabrics, sodium percarbonate, a product composed of soda crystals and hydrogen peroxide, seems to be a good alternative to revive their white color. To use it, it is advisable to put half a cup of percarbonate in the drum of the washing machine and run a wash cycle.
Now you have all the tricks you need to make your white clothes shine again. Rediscover the joys of wearing white with clothes that are more radiant than ever.
Read also: Make Your Window Frames Snow White In 5 Minutes With A Stunning Product